Ancestry®, one of the leaders in family history, has partnered with several Veterans’ organizations to honor America’s fallen heroes in a special “50 Story Salute.” The tribute comes at a time when Americans will be commemorating the 50th anniversary of Memorial Day becoming a federal holiday.
Partner organizations include: The Wounded Warrior Project, The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation, and Combined Arms and Jewish War Veterans.
“Memorial Day is about honoring those who didn’t make it home,” says Bryan Escobedo with Combined Arms. “We are humbled to be part of the Ancestry “50 Story Salute.” Each story shared will continue the memory of the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.”
The “50 Story Salute” involves several activities and all Americans are encouraged to participate to honor their loved ones’ legacies.
- Ancestry invites you to share stories, photos and records of military heroes in your family using the hashtag #ISaluteFor and tagging Ancestry on Instagram (@Ancestry) and Facebook (@AncestryUS).
- Tune into Ancestry on Instagram, Facebook or YouTube on Monday, May 31, to watch the virtual tribute “50 Story Salute,” a curated montage of military heroes through time highlighting powerful stories of strength and hope.
- To help find family members who served our nation and who lived through these remarkable chapters in history, from May 28-31, Ancestry is opening free access to two features of its family research websites.
Available Friday through Monday during Memorial Day Weekend
- Search more than 550 million military records on Fold3, covering military conflicts as early as the Revolutionary War. On Fold3 you can uncover: age of enlistment, date and place they enlisted, place of birth, physical description, occupation, term of enlistment, date and location they joined their unit, illness and injury, and date they left the company or died.
- Generate personalized stories on Ancestry.com using its StoryScout™ tool that quickly sifts through millions of records and can curate stories about your ancestors to help you make meaningful discoveries with no research needed.
Military records can provide incredible details about the heroes in your family and the sacrifices they made. Find the names of those who perished in the fight, who were listed as missing in action or were prisoners of war, the veterans who returned, and the sacrifices of their families in the fight to preserve freedom.
AncestryBirdDog.com has no affiliation with Ancestry.com or any of the other organizations mentioned in this article.